Friday 4 September 2020

Digital Detox Day: 10 Things To Do To Switch Off

  


Hey guys,

With tomorrow being Digital Detox Day I thought I would share a few things you can do while you're not on social media or your phone if you're taking part but first things first a little info on Digital Detox Day for those who maybe haven't heard about the campaign or aren't sure what it's about (also just to clarify I chose to write this myself it's not an ad or anything like that)

Digital Detox Day is a campaign with I Am Whole, Lush and Zoe Sugg to encourage people to take the day off of social media to raise awareness about the negative impact social media can have on our mental health, I'll link their site here if you want to learn more 

Personally I feel it's so important to regularly take time off of social media, I actually really enjoy it!

As you guys may know I posted a blog post a few weeks ago opening up a little about the fact I have anxiety myself and I really find social media can often increase my anxiety which is why I'm taking part


I encourage you guys to take part too, I promise you'll feel so refreshed even just taking a day off

Anyway, I've put together a list of 10 things to do that aren't on social media, hopefully it gives you guys some ideas to keep you off of your socials tomorrow

Let's just jump straight into it, shall we?

  • Read a book
I know for me personally I have a couple of books I haven't read yet or that I've started and not finished so that's something you can do to pass some time, find a book you're excited to read or re-read an old fave

  • Take a bath
You can't beat a good bath with a nice bath bomb, I'm actually heading to Lush tomorrow with my Dad to try and get the IRL bath bomb that Zoe helped create for the digital detox day campaign so I'm excited to hopefully get a few and give them a try

  • Get creative
Draw something, paint something, take some pictures, there are so many things you could do
I'm ordering a paint by numbers later that looks like so much fun, obviously that won't arrive for me tomorrow but I'm excited for that to arrive that I can hopefully limit my social media intake a little more even after digital detox day

  • Play a game
You could play a game on your phone if you're just switching off from social media or if you're switching off completely and also not using your phone you could play a board game, if you have a Nintendo switch play a game on that, play with a pet etc

  • Try a new makeup look
If you're like me and you love makeup, take some time to try out a new look or to try something different. I find playing around with makeup for me can pass so much time as I try one thing then that leads to more ideas haha

  • Bake or cook something
During lockdown I've really found a love for baking (you could say I'm slightly obsessed haha) and I've found myself wanting to bake more and learn how to make more treats, but if you're more into cooking rather than baking, learn a new recipe or make your favourite one

  • Try something new
I personally love learning French and I've recently been using YouTube to do so instead of Duolingo, the channel I use is Learn French With Vatsala, I'll link her channel here as it's super helpful and I'm enjoying her videos so much
If you're not into learning a language there are sooo many other things you could try, what's something you've wanted to learn for a while? If possible make a start on that

  • Watch YouTube/a movie/your fave TV show
If you don't consider YouTube a social media then you could watch some YouTube videos to pass time or you could watch a movie or your favourite TV show

  • Exercise/go for a walk
Get outside (or exercise indoors if you prefer)
I feel it's easier to be off of social media if I'm out in nature looking around me, getting fresh air etc and it's so nice to take in what's around you rather than see it through a phone screen posting stories or whatever
If you don't feel like going out or for a walk for whatever reason you could do a workout, there are so many great workout videos online or if you're a dancer like me you could stretch or dance, even if you're not a dancer you could just dance or try to learn a piece of choreography to try something new like I mentioned before

  • Listen to music
I love doing this as you can just have a little jam session either by yourself or with family or whoever
If you saw my Instagram stories from late last night you'll know I was having a late night jam session and decided to share some of the music I was listening to and there were some throwbacks haha like JoJo's Get Out (Leave) (from 2004 haha) and Too Little Too Late (from 2006)
I'm totally not listening to these songs on repeat as I write this, they're still such good songs! Who actually remembers these songs?

Okay, so those are my 10 ideas of things you can do to switch off from social media or your phone completely depending which you decide to do
I hope these help you to switch off and refresh a little as I find taking time away from social media so important
Let me know in the comments if you're going to use any of these and if you're taking part in Digital Detox Day

Thank you guys so much for reading and I will see you soon for another blog post,
Hanna x

No comments:

Post a Comment