Tuesday 16 April 2019

What I’ve Learnt In 2 Years Of Blogging

Hey guys,
Today’s post is a special one because my blog turns 2 today!
Last year I did a blog photo-shoot for my first year, so this year in celebration of my 2nd year blogging I thought I would share some things I’ve learnt since I started blogging 2 years ago
I asked on Instagram for ideas of what to do for my blog turning two and I’d like to thank Apostolia for giving me the idea for this post, I’ll link her blog here as her blog just turned two a few days ago!
Now, let’s get right into the post

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself

I am definitely guilty of this one, I put pressure on myself to post a lot of the time, particularly if I’ve mentioned when a post is going up, when really it’s okay to take a little more time to finish it and get it perfect

It’s okay to take breaks

Recently I took a month off and as much as I love blogging, it was great! In the last two years I have barely taken any breaks, maybe a week off after blogmas each year and on holiday in 2017 and maybe some other small breaks but these are all I can think of haha, but I think that was it and I definitely feel like this month off was long awaited, I feel like I just put so much pressure on myself to always have posts going up that I burnt myself out a little when it came to ideas etc

Followers really aren’t everything

Yes, we all love when we gain blog followers but I’ve learnt I don’t need hundreds of followers to get views on posts

Comment threads etc help a ton

If you want to build your views or get more comments, comment threads can really help, recently I haven't been using these but I want to start using them again
I noticed when I started using comment threads I would get more comments (before I was getting none at all really), it also helped improve my views
Comment threads are also a great way to find other blogs to read and interact with other bloggers as you comment on other people's posts

Spam views are a pain

Back in about November I think, maybe even before that, I noticed I had started to get a lot of spam views
A lot of the time these spam views would overtake my actual views, which is annoying
I googled it to try and see what I could do, turns out there’s nothing I can do about them and apparently Google can’t do anything either
I feel like Google should have a way of stopping spam views because it really doesn’t motivate you to post when you get more spam views than real ones

Inspiration is everywhere

You truly can find inspiration for a post anywhere, I’ve written posts about days out, holidays, a food haul, makeup hauls/posts, walks I’ve been on, you can literally find the inspiration to write from just about anything

Inspiration/motivation is easy to lose

As nice as it is to find inspiration everywhere, inspiration is also easy to lose as is motivation
Once blogmas was over (and even for a while before) I was so stuck for ideas and I’m still a little stuck to be honest
I feel like I used up the inspiration I had when I started blogging too quickly, I sometimes posted more than just once a week and as a result of that I think this is why I struggle to think of ideas more

Refreshing my design refreshed everything

You may have noticed recently I changed up my blog design
I changed the background, I changed up the fonts, I changed up the colours a little and I love it! I always thought I wouldn’t like changing my design because I loved my old design so much but I really love it
To be honest changing up my design made my blog feel brand new again, it felt like a new start and it really made me want to start posting more again because it felt so new and fresh
I guess you could say I feel like a new blogger again haha

Hard work pays off

This is really true, the more work you put in, the more you get out of blogging
When I used to use comment threads a lot it definitely helped my blog a lot, my views were up, and my comments
Also, the hard work I put into changing my design the other week has paid off too as it feels like a new blog again

Quality over quantity

We hear this a lot about many things and it's just as true for blogging, you don't have to write super long posts to make it interesting
If you write a shorter post but the content is good and you've put the work into it the quality will show through

It’s a great way to build confidence

Blogging really is a great way to build your confidence, I'm still not the most confident person but over the last two years I've found my blog has helped me build my confidence
In January last year I felt so confident in my blog I had the guts to show my face at last
Blogging has also built my confidence on social media too, I'm much more likely to message people or respond to them if I like a post etc now than I was before
It has built my confidence in many ways but I can't think of all of them haha

Comments are motivation

Just one nice comment really can make your day, comments also motivate you to post more too as you know people are enjoying what you're writing

You don’t have to do what everyone else is doing

With blogging you can post whatever you want, you don't have to post something just because everyone else is if it's not for you
It's also good to take suggestions from comments and to take inspiration from other people's posts but only write what you love to write about, it'll show through if you aren't enjoying what you're writing about

Okay so those are all of the things I could think of,
I actually sat down and wrote this list of things yesterday haha, I find things like this hard to write as it's hard to think of everything you've learnt over 2 whole years
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post,
Let me know in the comments if you have a blog what’s one thing you’ve learnt from it

Thank you so much for reading and here’s to many more years blogging 🍾  🥂 🎉2️⃣
Hanna x

No comments:

Post a Comment