Tuesday 27 March 2018

Making Yummy Easter Treats!


Hey guys,
So with Easter not far away I thought today I would do an Easter treats post,
I searched Pinterest to find these 3 treats and I thought they were perfect,

Ok, let's just jump right into the treats,
I'll link the original recipes on the sites I found them on,

First I made these Creme Egg Filled Cookie Cups:

I saw these on Pinterest and knew my Mum would love them, she loves creme eggs and so I thought I would make them for her to try,
I will just say I am however not too fond of creme eggs so I took out the creme egg part for half of the cookie cups so that I could eat a plain one haha and also some of my family don't like creme eggs either,

For this recipe you will need:


  • 210g of plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons of corn flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • A pinch of salt
  • 175g of milk chocolate chips
  • 140g of unsalted butter (at room temperature)
  • 100g light brown sugar
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 12 mini Cadbury creme eggs

How to make these cookie cups:

(Quick note: I didn't realise at first the recipe said muffin hole tin, I had a cupcake tin, so I'm not sure if that made a difference)

For this recipe you will want to start by preheating the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F,
Next to prepare the cupcake tin, you'll want to spray the 12 holes in the cupcake tin with cooking spray,

Onto the mixing of ingredients,
Put the 210g of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, pinch of salt and the 175g of chocolate chips in a mixing bowl, then stir it until all chocolate chips are covered in flour,


Now leaving that bowl to one side in another bowl you want to put in the butter and sugar and beat that until it is light and fluffy,

Next add the 1 egg and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the butter and sugar and then mix until it is well incorporated,


Then tip in the flour mix from earlier and mix until a soft dough forms,


(Quick note: I am mixing this manually as I don't have a standing electric mixer, if you have a standing mixer you can find the speeds to mix it on the original recipe I linked before)

Now place 2 tablespoons of dough into each muffin hole and press it down to create an even layer, the recipe says the holes of the tin should be about half full, we had to fill it a little more as we had a cupcake tin not a muffin tin,

Next it's time to add the creme eggs, press one creme egg into the centre of each cookie cup, the recipe says the creme eggs should be pushed down to cover the first 1/4 of each egg,
As I mentioned before, I did half with creme eggs and half without as not all of my family like creme eggs,


Then simply place in the oven for 12-14 minutes, the recipe says until they are risen, lightly golden and still soft in the centre, it also says the top of the cup should look matte in oven lighting,

Simply leave them to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes and after this time then put them on a wire rack to cool fully,
Once cool they're ready to eat!


Above is a picture of the ones that turned out really well but below you'll see (from the one in the middle) some were slightly overcooked as the middles were falling apart haha
Some still fell apart but some turned out well, we think maybe they fell apart because they didn't have a creme egg in or because we didn't have the right tin but we're not sure haha


Taste test:

I haven't really tried a full one of these yet but I pulled a little bit off the bottom of a broken one haha and I must say it tasted pretty good haha it honestly just tasted like a freshly baked cookie
My sister also tried one with a creme egg in and said it was nice and you couldn't really taste the creme egg

Moving on to Mini Egg Cookie Bars:

I found these again on Pinterest and I knew I would most likely love these,

Ok, for this recipe you will need:


  • 275g of plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of salt
  • 1 tablespoon of corn flour
  • 115g of unsalted butter
  • 55g of granulated sugar
  • 135g of light brown sugar
  • 1 medium egg (beaten)
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla extract 
  • 3x 90g bags of mini eggs
  • 100g of milk chocolate chips

And here is how to make this recipe:

First start by preheating the oven to 190 degrees C or 170 degrees C in a fan oven,
Then you will want to line a 9x9inch (23cm) square tin with parchment paper, then put that to the side for now, I couldn't find a 23cm so settled for a 20cm in the end,

Not the best pic haha

Now in a bowl you'll want to whisk together/mix the 275g of plain flour, the 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda, the half a teaspoon of salt and the 1 tablespoon of cornflour,

(I forgot to get a picture for this part haha)

Once it is mixed and is all evenly distributed, simply put this aside for now,

In another bowl (the recipe says a larger bowl) melt the 115g of unsalted butter, then add in the 55g of granulated sugar and the 135g of light brown sugar and then the recipe says to whisk for 2 minutes so that the sugar starts to dissolve and the mix is smooth,

(I think I forgot to photograph this too haha oops)

Next add in the 1 medium egg and the half a teaspoon of vanilla extract and then whisk again until smooth,

I think this is the right picture haha I should have put them on my laptop as I took them. Oops haha
Next add in the dry ingredients and all of the mini eggs (apart from a handful, you'll need that handful in a minute) and also add in the 100g of chocolate chips, then mix this all together with a spatula until a thick cookie dough is formed,


Then press the mixture into the bottom of the 9x9 tin and and press in the handful of mini eggs onto the top for decoration,


Now simply bake the tray bake for 20-25 minutes, the recipe says until the cookie bake looks "dry"


Now leave it to cool for about 10 minutes and then leave it on a wire rack to cool completely 
Once cool the recipe says to cut it into 4x4 size squares or 5x5 if you want it smaller but I guess you could cut it however you wanted


And voila! They're ready to eat!



Taste Test:

Ok, here's what I thought of the cookie bars,
I thought these were really good, they taste so nice, especially freshly baked, the chocolate inside is nice and gooey and it just tastes amazing haha

And now moving onto the final recipe,

Some Quick And Easy Easter Nest Cupcakes:

I saw these on Pinterest and thought they looked so good and I mean you can't go wrong with cupcakes, right? So I decided to try and re-create them

For this recipe you will need:

  • 125g of margarine (the recipe said dairy free spread or margarine but I just used regular margarine)
  • 125g soft light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 125g plain flour
  • 25g cocoa powder
  • 10g baking powder (the recipe says this is 2 teaspoons for anyone who may prefer to measure that way)
  • 1 can of Dr Oetker Easy Swirl Cupcake Icing (The recipe didn't specify what flavour but I noticed they used strawberry but I decided on chocolate instead)
  • 1 bag mini mini eggs (I couldn't find mini ones so I used regular mini eggs)

Now onto how to make them:

First you will want to pre heat your oven to 180 degrees or gas mark 4 (350 degrees Fahrenheit),
Then you will want to line your muffin tin with 12 muffin cases,

Then it's time to start mixing ingredients, first put the 125g of margerine into a bowl, then put in the 125g of sugar in too and the two eggs,
I must admit I got a little confused by this recipe the ingredients part said light brown sugar but when the recipe was written up the writer had put caster sugar, so we just went with what the ingredients said first haha,


Next sift in the 125g of floor and then sift in the 25g of cocoa powder and the 2 teaspoons of baking powder,

Next up the recipe says to use an electric whisk to mix but I don't have one of those haha so I mixed it normally until it was all well mixed,


Now it's time to put it into the cupcake cases,
The recipe now says to divide the mix equally between the cases and smooth over the tops,


Then pop them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, the recipe says until they are risen and firm to touch, but I also did the usual cocktail stick trick to make sure they weren't uncooked inside,


Then put them on a wire rack or aside, out of the tin, to cool,

Once cooled, it's time for decoration,
The recipe says to push a mini circle cutter into the top of the cupcake to make the 'nest' part and then use a knife to remove the circle,  but I didn't have a cutter so my Mum just used a knife to roughly cut in a circle, I figured it would be neater if my Mum did it haha,

Then simply fill the hole with a small amount of icing and add in the mini eggs, you could make your own icing but the recipe just used the Dr Oetker easy swirl icing I mentioned in the ingredients and I figured this was much quicker when making 3 recipes in one day haha


And voila! You now have these cute little nest cakes






Taste test:

Ok, so after tasting these I can say the icing is super nice haha but for some reason the cake itself tasted a little bland, I'm not sure why as I followed the recipe exactly, let me know if you know why this is or how I can fix it, but other than that they look super pretty

And that brings us to the end of this post,
Let me know if you have made any of these before or if you would make these,
I hope you enjoyed this post, I must say I really loved making these, it was super fun,
My favourite treat was definitely the cookie bars, they taste so good!

Thank you, as always, for reading and I will see you soon for another new post,
Hanna x

12 comments:

  1. These all look so good! I would go for the mini egg cookie bars too - they look so yummy, and you said they taste so good too! I would love to bake them, but it feels like I haven't got enough time as it is most days! I've got some time off over the next 2 weeks so I'll try fit it in then :D

    Amy,
    https://creativenails.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes! The cookie bar is honestly so delicious and chocolatey, I already have plans to make another one soon haha x

      Delete
  2. Yes! The mini egg cookie bar is amazing haha. I love a good rice krispie cake, rice krispies and chocolate just taste so good together haha. Aw, thank you, I hope you have a great Easter too xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good and anything with mini eggs are a win for me, of course! Love Easter time when baking feels like a must do!

    Jessica & James | www.foodandbaker.co.uk / www.foodandbakertravels.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes! haha Mini Eggs are perfect for any Easter treat :)

      Delete
  4. These all look so delicious!Thanks for sharing the recipes :)

    https://tiateilli.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These all look amazing, such a good read! You’ve written them so easily to follow as well, 100% going to make the easter nest cupcakes! Thanks for sharing

    Phoebe x

    https://itsphoeberose.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Can't wait to see how yours turn out :) x

      Delete
  6. these both look so yummy! You did a great job at explaining how to make these. I think I would prefer the cookie bars more! They look and sound so nice! x
    https://sharnahsblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The cookie bar is by far my favourite x

      Delete
  7. This post made me so hungry! For Easter, my mum used a similar cupcake recipe to the one in this post! They tasted so good! Thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah you can't beat a good cupcake. Thank you for commenting 😊

      Delete